Saturday, June 20, 2009

Nia Vardalos on Women and Hollywood



Nia Vardalos (of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame) recently posted a piece at Huff Post on gender in feature films

A little-known fact: some studios recently decided to no longer make female-lead movies.

Lately, I've been in meetings regarding a new script idea I have. A studio executive asked me to change the female lead to a male, because... "women don't go to movies."

Really?

When I pointed out the box office successes of Sex and The City, Mamma Mia, and Obsessed, he called them "flukes." He said "don't quote me on this." So, I'm telling everybody.

...It's called show business for a reason. The theater owners want to make money, and understandably so. My Life In Ruins is the highest testing movie in Fox Searchlight history so we've been given a chance. And, the theater owners said they'll keep the movie in their theaters if people go.

So, women: can we speak up with our wallets?


Her newest film, My Life In Ruins, is now in (some) theaters. 

Vardalos is right- the biz depends on consumer spending.  So don't forget to buy Maria Bamford's new album, see My Life in Ruins, or check out your local women's comedy night.   Not only will you reinforce the fact that there IS a demand for women-led entertainment, but it's also the easiest, most enjoyable activism ever.    

No comments:

Post a Comment